The CLEARS Border Chapter was formed in 1983 and currently consists of approximately 30 members from two counties in Southern California which share the border with Mexico. We stretch from the Pacific Ocean in the County of San Diego to the flat land of Imperial County.
The Border Chapter is one of the smallest groups within the CLEARS organization. We have a dedicated membership who work diligently to keep each other informed on issues affecting law enforcement recordkeeping.
The member agencies of the Border Chapter include Carlsbad PD, Chula Vista PD, Coronado PD, El Cajon PD, Escondido PD, Imperial County Sheriff, La Mesa PD, National City PD, Oceanside PD, San Diego Harbor PD, San Diego Sheriffs Office, San Diego State PD, University of California PD, ARJIS and SANDAG.
One of the most regionally friendly counties, San Diego has established unique law enforcement databases that share information throughout the County of San Diego. The focus of our monthly meetings is training and networking with each other.
Our members know that they can call on one another for expertise, sharing of information on technology and record management issues that we face. We value our association with each other.
Our monthly training meetings are held on the 4th Thursday of every odd month.
The Border Chapter welcomes individuals involved in the processing and maintenance of law enforcement records and support services to become part of our chapter.
Who Can Join?
Anyone associated with law enforcement interested in the issues and topics related to police recordkeeping are invited to join us. The membership of this Chapter consists of Active, Associate, Life, Commercial, and Honorary members.
- Active Membership consists of management/supervisory personnel in charge of criminal justice records and any person who manages/supervises any support function of criminal justice agency records keeping.
- Associate Membership shall be limited to non-management/supervisory personnel employed in criminal justice agencies or related professions, excluding vendors, who have an interest in the CLEARS organization and support its goals.
- Life Membership. Any Active Member, who has served the Chapter with honor and distinction, and having retired from active employment, may be honored as a Life Member.
- Honorary Membership may be awarded to individuals who have provided exceptional services to the CLEARS Border Chapter.
- Commercial Membership in the Border Chapter consists of any vendor whose business sells or provides products or services of interest to criminal justice agencies and who have an interest in and support the goals of the Chapter
Benefits of Joining
- There are numerous benefits to becoming a member of CLEARS.
- Share information and research related to police records processes and procedures and update of POST Records Manual.
- Legislative Committee monitors current legislation related to law enforcement records and dissemination of public information.
- Networking on issues relating to personnel, procedures, technology, etc.
- Friendships and alliances with professionals in similar positions throughout the State of California.
- We have a great time when we get together and of course we have a common interest to support the professionalism of our agencies.
How Can You Join?
Fill out and mail the membership form... Download a 2022 Border Chapter Membership Application
The formation of the Border Chapter in 1983 was due to the vision of many who knew there was a need for another chapter in the southern California area. Southern Chapter's President, Fred Preble was instrumental in organizing the new chapter. As previous members of the Southern Chapter, Border Chapter members traveled many miles to attend meetings in Los Angeles and Orange counties . . . traffic wasn't any better 20 years ago and the distance became an obstacle for many agencies in our area.
The goal of the new chapter became three-fold:
- To Increase participation at meetings,
- To Increase membership,
- To localize the meetings.
Founding members included: Richard Hudnall, Sheila Tarvin, Cathy Balzum, Sue Roos, Connie Sprunk, Ruby Nealges, Pat Fernandez, Billie Bohannon, Pearl Owens, Eleanor Clapp, among others.
Most of these members have since retired from law enforcement. Many have kept active within CLEARS and the BORDER Chapter and are a continued valuable source of information for our newer members.
|1983||Richard Hudnall||UCSD Police Department|
|1984- 85||Sheila Tarvin||Carlsbad Police Department|
|1986||Richard Hudnall||UCSD Police Department|
|1987- 88||Sue Roos||Chula Vista Police Department|
|1989||June Stuart||San Diego Sheriff's Office|
|1990||Dennis Kessinger||UCSD Police Department|
|Billie Bohannon||El Centro Police Department|
|1991 - 92||Billie Bohannon||El Centro Police Department|
|1993 - 94||Cathy Balzum||Oceanside Police Department|
|1995||Rosemary Bergman Kolanda||National City Police Department|
|1996 - 97||Barbara Neilson||El Cajon Police Department|
|1998||Carmelita Hawkins||San Diego Harbor Police Department|
|1999 - 2001||Delphine Smith||Carlsbad Police Department|
|2002 - 2004||Heather Kenney||San Diego County Sheriff's Office|
|2005-2009||Delphine Smith||Carlsbad Police Department|
|2010||Angela Ellis||San Diego Sheriff's Department|
|2011-2014||Cathy Osgan||Oceanside Police Department|
|2015-2016||Shannel Honore||El Cajon Police Department|
|2017-2018||Jennifer Kelly||Oceanside Police Department|
|2019||Shannel Honore||El Cajon Police Department|
LIFETIME & HONORARY MEMBERSHIPS
|Heather Kinney||County of San Diego|
|Sabrina Cota||San Diego State University Police|
|Melba Bradley||San Diego SO, Retired|
|Angela Ellis||San Diego SO, Retired|
|Mary Garcia||UCSD, Retired|
|Delphine Fisk||Carlsbad PD, Retired|
|Kathy Klick||San Diego PD, Retired|
|Heather Kinney||San Diego Sheriff's Dept.|
|Liz Foster||Escondido PD, Retired|
|Rosemary Kolanda||National City PD, Retired|
|Cathern Balzum||OPD Retired|
|Billie Bohannon||El Centro PD, Retired|
|Eleanor Clapp||Escondido PD, Retired|
|Joan Copeland||SDSP Retired|
|Richard Hudnall||UCSD, Retired|
|Norv Krager||SDSO Retired|
|Lee Riley||Escondido PD, Retired|
|Susan Roos||Chula Vista, PD Retired|
|Sheila Tarvin||Carlsbad PD, Retired|
|Jonell Wareham||Imperial County SO, Retired|
|Sue Roos||Chula Vista PD Retired|
|Ruby Neagles||San Diego SO Retired|
December 2019 - Chapter Acknowledgements
December 2013 Training Meeting
February 2013 PRA Training at Carlsbad Police Department
Chapter Meeting and Region III Training
Boss's Day 2001
Law & Legislative Day 2003
Photos Around the Chapter